Right Wing Gossip Social Media

UPDATED: David Auerbach: Buzzfeed Set To Attack Me Over Milo Yiannopoulos

In a series of tweets, David Auerbach posted email conversations with senior Buzzfeed editor Ariel Kaminer on behalf of Joe Bernstein and warns readers from accepting the veracity of an upcoming article focused on Milo Yiannopoulos. Auerbach is a software engineer who had a standing column for three years in Slate as well as a heap of essays included by publications such as the New Scientist, the MIT Technology Review and the Times Literary Supplement.

Here are the relevant tweets in order of appearance:

Head’s up: apparently Buzzfeed is about to tell some lies about me. I’m pretty small potatoes, so I smell either desperation or revenge.
5 October 2017, 2:05pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

If Buzzfeed directs a shitstorm & harassment my way, I’ll either go private or deactivate. Subscribe at https://tinyletter.com/auerbook for updates.
5 October 2017, 2:08pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

Senior editor at @Buzzfeed Ariel Kaminer. Told him this stuff was untrue. He’s currently trying to put words in my mouth.
“Hello Mr. Auerbach,
I’m reaching out on behalf of Joe Bernstein, who is working on a story about Milo Yiannopoulos and Breitbart News. You make only a very brief appearance in Joe’s reporting, but we are reaching out to everyone who is mentioned.
Joe’s story will mention that you emailed Yiannopoulos to pass along information about Anita Sarkeesian‘s love life, to give him the “goods” about an allegedly racist friend of Arthur Chu, and to pass along a “hot tip” about anti-harassment tactics implemented by Wikipedia.
Almost all the facts of the story are based on primary documents, but we wanted to take this step to let you know about our findings and give you a fair opportunity to correct any errors.
Please get back to me as soon as possible, and no later than 3 pm eastern.
Sincerely,
Ariel Kaminer.”
5 October 2017, 2:15pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

Ariel Kaminer at @Buzzfeed fabricates a quote from me for an article, claiming I say I “don’t recognize” emails they haven’t even shown me.
“KAMINER: OK, we’ll note that you say you don’t recognize the emails.
“AUERBACH: If you are planning to say: “Joe’s story will mention that you emailed Yiannopoulos to pass along information about Anita Sarkeesian’s love life, to give him the “goods” about an allegedly racist friend of Arthur Chu, and to pass along a “hot tip” about anti-harassment tactics implemented by Wikipedia.” Then my response is that this is untrue.
AUERBACH: Also, I haven’t seen the emails, so I do NOT say “I don’t recognize the emails.” Don’t put words in my mouth.”
5 October 2017, 2:15pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

Are you proud of this, @BuzzFeedBen ? Is this why you joined Buzzfeed?
5 October 2017, 2:22pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

BUZZFEED: We’ll say you said X.
ME: I didn’t say X.
BUZZFEED: We won’t put X in quotes.
What a joke. Really, @BuzzFeedBen?
5 October 2017, 2:25pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

He then posted tweets suggesting that he’s criticized Buzzfeed for years.

5 October 2017, 2:23pm EST (Link, Archive Link)
5 October 2017, 2:26pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

UPDATE:

David has posted the email he sent to Milo dealing with Wikipedia users.

So let me scoop @BuzzFeed by publishing an email I *did* send to Milo Yiannopoulos, though it doesn’t say what they claim it does.
“Hey Milo, question for you on background here. I was wondering if you’d heard anything about the two recently globally banned Wikipedia users REDACTED and REDACTED. Such global bans almost never happen, and apparently both occurred for secretive and creepy “child protection” reasons with whiffs of massive scandals around them. The question is whether Wikipedia’s own governance or the Wikimedia Foundation participated in any sort of coverup of the behavior before the banning, or whether they failed to take other proper action.”
5 October 2017, 4:04pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

Names are redacted because unlike @BuzzFeed, I try to respect people’s privacy. If Buzzfeed wants to try to hang me on this email, let them.
5 October 2017, 4:04pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

I have requested that @arielkaminer and @Bernstein not publish untruths about me in Buzzfeed, for reasons of personal safety. @BuzzFeedBen
5 October 2017, 4:13pm EST (Link, Archive Link)

MAJOR UPDATE:

These tweets are being archived by someone in the Pacific Standard Time Zone. I archived a few in the Atlantic Time Zone, but someone else on the California coast is getting to them before me.

UPDATE FRIDAY 6 OCTOBER 2017:

David has left Twitter.

1 thought on “UPDATED: David Auerbach: Buzzfeed Set To Attack Me Over Milo Yiannopoulos”