Facebook “News Feed Values” Update Set To Kill Biz, News Pages
Under a new update, the clients who “like” your page will now be seeing much less from you as the website aims to promote personal posts over public ones.
An exact roll-out date for this set of updates has not been established and their language (“as we make these updates…”) makes it appear that this will occur over a period of time.
Highlights are are gathered from Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook post and from the site’s newsroom:
- “I’m changing the goal I give our product teams from focusing on helping you find relevant content to helping you have more meaningful social interactions.”
- “…it will take months for this new focus to make its way through all our products. The first changes you’ll see will be in News Feed, where you can expect to see more from your friends, family and groups.”
- “...you’ll see less public content like posts from businesses, brands, and media.“
- “…I expect the time people spend on Facebook and some measures of engagement will go down.”
- …we will predict which posts you might want to interact with your friends about, and show these posts higher in feed.
- We will also prioritize posts from friends and family over public content, consistent with our News Feed values.
- …we’ll show less public content, including videos and other posts from publishers or businesses.
- …Pages may see their reach, video watch time and referral traffic decrease.
- …Pages making posts that people generally don’t react to or comment on could see the biggest decreases in distribution.
- Page posts will still appear in News Feed, though there may be fewer of them.
Expect the slaughter of news (especially straight, unexciting news) on Facebook to continue, and make sure to follow the Pages that you like the best.
Here’s Mark’s post: